Saturday, October 15, 2005

Another Intelligent Person Leaves The LDS Religion Gracefully -- His Jail Cell Door Is Opened And He Is Free -- He Had The Courage To Walk Away


Dear Ram and Andy,

Since I began to investigate the wealth of information you are providing on this blog I have had many second thoughts about Mormonism.

I decided I needed to have a talk with my Bishop. It was an important step for me. First, as a courtesy, I needed to officially resign from my calling as a Gospel Doctrine teacher (up until this time I had been telling our Sunday School President that I couldn’t teach on the days I was supposed to). Second, it confirmed to me that I had no fears in expressing my new beliefs even to those whom I had previously given “authority” over me.

To be honest, the Bishop was totally cool. I didn’t go into detail and he didn’t try to pry. His advice was to hold off on resigning my membership and to give it some time, which I had already decided I would do for family reasons. He simply said that he wished others felt what he had felt. For him it works, for me… it definitely did not.

I was in a singles’ ward, so I acknowledged that my records should be sent to the “family” ward where I currently reside. I gave him my permission for him to contact “my” new Bishop and let him know that I wanted some space and would not be attending services. We shared a quick embrace and I walked out.

I can’t imagine what it would be like to be a bishop of a singles’ ward. These guys must be gluttons for punishment. But, I am now a new Bishop’s problem.

I really don’t care if the new “Ward” contacts me or not. I am becoming more and more comfortable in acknowledging my apostasy. I figure in a year or so it may be time for a letter to Greg.

On the way out I saw a couple of friends from the ward that I had not seen since I left. We chatted and we both acknowledged I had not been to church in a while. I told them I would not be coming back. They inquired as to which ward I would be attending. I replied “none!” After an awkward pause, I gave a short explanation that I was there to meet with the Bishop and had decided the church wasn’t for me. The conversation continued awkwardly for a moment until we left the topic of the church. We agreed to get together sometime.

I slept with complete satisfaction and even felt those familiar feelings of the “Spirit,” which I recognize now as emotional contentment.

Thanks again,
Edward Phillips

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?